Supports the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through effective and efficient support for SDG monitoring at the country-level, and a sustainable approach to statistical capacity development of national statistical systems and stakeholders of national data ecosystems, and to support a coordinated strategy, process and mechanisms for statistics and data inputs for regional inputs to the global processes, and for regional implementation of global mandates, including follow-up and review of SDG progress.
The role of the TWG is to enhance synergy and complementarity among programmes and activities of UN agencies in the region around SDG monitoring and statistical development, and to address statistics and data concerns of the other RCM TWGs. Its core functions will be:
- To strengthen the data and statistics used for regional analyses and publications on SDGs
- To identify statistical gaps, developing and applying statistical capacity building tools and capacity building programmes at both the regional and national levels
- To provide a strategic regional approach to statistical capacity building, advocating for statistics and data strengthening for SDGs implementation
- To support ongoing UN country-level efforts to strengthen national statistical capacity
- To promote the use of statistics to identify exclusions and inequalities to ensure that “no one is left behind” in the region's progress toward the SDGs.
Terms of Refernce - TWG Statistics.pdf